Skip to content

IMPORTANT: Due to large amounts of spam attempts on the site, first-time posters: please send a private message to admin to get your initial post approved.

IMPORTANT : A cause de nombreuses tentatives de spam, les nouveaux utilisateurs sont priés d'envoyer un message privé à admin pour voir leur premier message approuvé.
Pour l'interface du forum en français, enregistrez-vous sur le forum et sélectionnez le français comme votre langue de préférence.

Foam insert to prevent paint damage

Foam insert to prevent paint damage

Postby Bemol » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:03 pm

I noticed that the plastic tray doesn't hold the miniatures very securely, and I was concerned that they may get their paint scratched if they ever rattled around inside the box.

So I took a $7 piece of 2-inch-thick Airtex Foam from Jo-Ann Fabric, and cut it down to the dimensions of the section of the box where the miniatures go. I added 1/4 inch to the dimensions to ensure a snug fit; this also compresses the foam in such a way that the miniatures are much less likely to fall out. I used a radial arm saw to do the cutting.

Then I held each miniature next to the foam and traced a rough outline with a felt marker.

Using an X-acto knife, I carefully cut away the foam until I had a nice little pocket. Voilà!

This is the first time I've ever painted anything in 15 years, the last time being when I was a kid dolloping Testors enamel all over cheap car models. For those like me who don't know much about painting, and who don't want to spend a ton of money, I found the following sites extremely helpful:

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/
I liked this site so much that I donated a few dollars to the author through the PayPay link.

http://fortressat.com/index.php/up-your ... miniatures
Note: The Johnson&Johnson Future Floor Finish mentioned in this article is now sold as "Pledge Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with FUTURE Shine." I bought mine at Wal-Mart for about $6. I use Delta Ceramcoat paint ($1.29 per bottle), and it's been working great so far. I use Citadel paints (about $4 per bottle) for my metallic silvers, due to the pigmentation of the cheap stuff.

100_0344 shrunk more.JPG
100_0344 shrunk more.JPG (52.8 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

100_0342 shrunk more.JPG
100_0342 shrunk more.JPG (57.73 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Bemol

Re: Foam insert to prevent paint damage

Postby garmonbozia » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Excellent idea. I'm kinda scared to chip off the paint from my Mammoth I finished the hard way.
Thanks a lot.

It funny to see that you chose the same painting order as I did : first the Mammoth, then Franck and James Woo.
At what stage are you now ? I'd like to see some more.
garmonbozia

Return to Board index

Return to Miniature Painting