Skip to content

IMPORTANT: Due to large amounts of spam attempts on the site, first-time posters: please send a private message to admin to get your initial post approved.

IMPORTANT : A cause de nombreuses tentatives de spam, les nouveaux utilisateurs sont priés d'envoyer un message privé à admin pour voir leur premier message approuvé.
Pour l'interface du forum en français, enregistrez-vous sur le forum et sélectionnez le français comme votre langue de préférence.

A big thanks to folks at Ludically and Z-Man

If it doesn't belong anywhere else...

Re: A big thanks to folks at Ludically and Z-Man

Postby Chimaera » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:06 pm

lighterfuel wrote:
Chimaera wrote:Just one little nit pick on the main game homepage. There is no such language as American e.g. your two flag selection.

The flag doesn't equal the English language. I take your point about a convention being a half Union Flag half American flag but even so Australia, India, South Africa, Zimbabwei,... etc have English as an official language or the sole official language, how many ways can you split that small rectangle! No, the main users are probably forseen as being from the U.S.A. and this may be a reason only the American flag is present; that and the fact that Z Man (U.S.A.)/Ludically (France) are putting out Earth Reborn. Netherthless, I'm from London and would like to see the slashed flag thing.
;)

Finally, take note: the English language forum is called the Anglophone Faction, which should please you!

LOL, sorry does it not say language above the two flags. As pointed out American is not a launguage, so yes it irks me. I understand totally why it is there and your other point regarding other countries and yes they should all have the English flag if they are going to depict the language as English internationally :D This is why I find the slashed S&S/Union flag much more palatable if still incorrect. There that must constitute the first rant on this forum ;)
Chimaera

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Chimaera wrote:LOL, sorry does it not say language above the two flags. As pointed out American is not a launguage, so yes it irks me. I understand totally why it is there and your other point regarding other countries and yes they should all have the English flag if they are going to depict the language as English internationally :D This is why I find the slashed S&S/Union flag much more palatable if still incorrect. There that must constitute the first rant on this forum ;)

I am a big fan of the slashed US/UK flag to represent the English language (I was proud to create such a flag icon for our multi-lingual game "Differences / What's Missing" when most games still only use the UK flag). Yet, I purposefully broke my own rule for the Earth Reborn web site. At the risk of feeding the "rant," [comma before the end-quote and not after, please] here's why (sorry, guys, linguistics is a passion of mine, and I enjoy a little English language spat once in a while; don't launch too many missiles at me, please :-)):

<UK readers: my sincerest apologies for what I'm about to write, I love you, really, please buy the game despite my outrageous American-influenced views. Also, my daughter is planning on going to Imperial College of London next year, so please, pretty please, be nice to her...>

1. Although American is a nationality and not a language, American English is a language, or is at least the form of the English language spoken in the United States, just like British English is the form of the English language spoken in the UK, etc. (my dear friend John who lives in Essex would kill me if he heard that I dared use the term "British English" as if there was such a thing, but then again, I can't understand how he says the word "bu' er" for butter, when the correct pronounciation is clearly "budder" ;), so there). The various forms of English are recognized by all reputable dictionaries, my kids' English teachers at the local international school, and above all, my own wife, who is an English professor at the university. Please don't mess with her, she helped with the Earth Reborn story...
  2. All the text that Chris and I write on the web site is in American English, not British English. Here is an American English to British English translator if necessary (funny stuff :lol:).
  3. I lived 16 years of my life in the US and was always somewhat annoyed that most multi-lingual web sites only showed a UK flag to represent the English language, forcing me to click on a flag of the British oppressor to get my language (no hard feelings :)), and ignoring the fact that 2/3rd of the native English speakers in the world live in the US. So this was my chance at a good-natured, yet petty, revenge, I admit :oops:.
  4. I made the flag look grungy to fit within the Earth Reborn universe. A slashed grungy US/UK post-apocalyptic flag just didn't look right visually, and didn't seem to fit with the game background being so US-centric.
You might be interested in an article titled "American English vs. British English, or whose language is it anyway?" on the "war" between American English and British English. The article's conclusion is as follows:
American English vs. British English, or Whose language is it anyway? wrote:So, "Whose language is it?" appears to be a question of no pertinence. Crystal would give credit to the United States and its influence in the 20th century, "much to the discomfiture of some in Britain who find the loss of historical linguistic preeminence unpalatable." But, the world dominance of the United States rests partially on what the British had achieved in the 19th century. With as many theories as there have been on the divergence of the "two streams of English," it is still virtually impossible to consider them separately or even sequentially. It is true that the use of English predates the European settlement of America, but it has gained impetus concurrently with the rise of the United States to international status, as well as with the rise of the United Kingdom to that same status.

Peace on Earth and happy holidays,

Jean-Charles
Ludically
Jean-Charles
Ludically
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chimaera » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:12 pm

LOL what a load of old hogwash. Have the French abandoned etiquette in this century :shock:

1. The US changes probably about 2% of the mother English language and declares it has it's own langauge. Sure the UK has regional dialects but it's not what is taught in UK schools. These international schools can't be teaching these variances that well as foreigners still can't understand the various regional dialects in the UK. I think these international schools are teaching something that need not be taught to somehow justify their so called knowledge of the UK to their students.

2. I tried the translator and funnily enough it's translation of frog & toad was a Frenchman & toad. Now that made me laugh :D the strange thing is this translator can't even pick up the true Americanisms like Fender & Elevator. Not a very useful tool unless your clueless.

3. Why is it a lot of English speakers live in the USA. Not a difficult one. We were not an oppressor we just wanted more tax to help fight wars on what I believe was four fronts at the time. More like the meddling French, Spanish & Dutch stirred up the situation for their own benefit :P When you see a lot of central African nations (yes there will be more French speaking Africans in time) using their flag to represent the French Language you may not take the same stance. They will probably quote the French oppressor deserves it LOL.

4. If Brit-Cit & the Union flag was good enough for Judge Dredd it should be good enough for Earth Reborn.

With regards to "whose language is it anyway." Yes I totally understand the USA feels the need to butcher the beautiful language to somehow give it a sense of identity or as a snub. Or could it be it was just easier to make it up as you go rather than keep a standard. WIth regards to US influence in the 20th century. I cannot dispute that fact but with the emerging economies of Russia, China & India they may also have to get used to playing second or even fourth fiddle at some stage in the 21st century. What goes around comes around as they say :twisted: Lastly whats the deal with your online map designer being incompatible with Explorer. I can see the frog & toads discussing it on the Francophone part of the forum. Are you snubbing a great American corporation :roll:
Chimaera

Postby Cormyr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:25 am

Chimaera wrote:...Lastly whats the deal with your online map designer being incompatible with Explorer. I can see the frog & toads discussing it on the Francophone part of the forum. Are you snubbing a great American corporation :roll:

For this last part, author of online map designer has explained that designer uses html5 and IE is not yet compatible with it. A relic of Microsoft standard war against International ones?
Just wait the next release of ie or switch to any browser.
By the way, the last studies show that, if ie is still the most used browser, it has no more majority since Firefox+Chrome together are more used than IE.

A last question: Is IE promoted by Norad and Chrome by Salemite? :mrgreen:
Cormyr

Postby admin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:13 am

Chimaera wrote:LOL what a load of old hogwash. Have the French abandoned etiquette in this century :shock:

I admit, I let myself go a little bit on this one, not usually my cup of tea. Sorry, I'll behave from now on, I promise :oops:.

Cheers,
Jean-Charles
Jean-Charles
Ludically
admin
Site Admin

Postby lighterfuel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Jean-Charles congratulations on raising and sending your daughter to the prestigious Imperial College, University of London and on developing Ludically, a company that brings entertainment to thousands of gamers round the world.
lighterfuel

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:53 pm

lighterfuel wrote:Jean-Charles congratulations on raising and sending your daughter to the prestigious Imperial College, University of London and on developing Ludically, a company that brings entertainment to thousands of gamers round the world.

Maybe his daugther will star in the future movie video of an Earth Reborn scenario gameplay.. if she accepts ;)
She speaks perfect english / american / australian / british ... name it however you want (I got lost in this conversation :) LoL).

I hope she will accept ;)
Ludicalement,
Chris
Chris
himself

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Other Subjects