Skip to content

IMPORTANT: Due to large amounts of spam attempts on the site, first-time posters: please send a private message to admin to get your initial post approved.

IMPORTANT : A cause de nombreuses tentatives de spam, les nouveaux utilisateurs sont priés d'envoyer un message privé à admin pour voir leur premier message approuvé.
Pour l'interface du forum en français, enregistrez-vous sur le forum et sélectionnez le français comme votre langue de préférence.

Spam Problem

Spam Problem

Postby admin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 am

Today, I had to delete 30 spam posts on the forum, all by the same user. The user has been banned from the forum.
Jean-Charles
Ludically
admin
Site Admin

Re: Spam Problem

Postby Cormyr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks, I begun to warn you but too much spam...
Cormyr

Postby admin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 pm

I've put in place a new security procedure to halt the rampant spam problem. Effective immediately, the first post of newly registered users must be approved before being published. If their first post is legitimate and approved, their other posts will go through directly.

Since I've put in place this new procedure, I was able to stop 9 spammers dead in their tracks just today. I hope this security measure will be sufficient. I apologize to first-time posters for the inconvenience.
Jean-Charles
Ludically
admin
Site Admin

Postby AEIOU » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:31 am

Take whatever steps are necessary. Spam is frustrating.

If it wasn't such a burden on the admins, I'd say make it 5 posts need admin approval. Or instead of the captcha, give us a quiz like "Which faction does Vasquez belong to?"

Is there any way for us to mark a post as spam when we see them to alert you?

Thanks for keeping the forums useful and spam free.
AEIOU

Postby admin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:19 am

AEIOU wrote:Take whatever steps are necessary. Spam is frustrating.
If it wasn't such a burden on the admins, I'd say make it 5 posts need admin approval. Or instead of the captcha, give us a quiz like "Which faction does Vasquez belong to?"

Is there any way for us to mark a post as spam when we see them to alert you?

Thanks for keeping the forums useful and spam free.

Thanks for your support. You can report a post as spam by clicking on the exclamation point '!' button next to the 'Quote' button above the post (the tooltip says 'report this post').

With the new approval process for first-time posters, I was able to stop another 30 spam posts yesterday before they ever made them to the forum.

Thanks.
Jean-Charles
Ludically
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:42 am

No spamming attempt in the last two days. Seems like the spammers gave up, at least for now. If it stays this way, I'll remove the extra security layer of approval of first-time posters. But I'll put it back at the first sign of a spamming attempt.
Jean-Charles
Ludically
admin
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to News