Skip to content

IMPORTANT: Due to large amounts of spam attempts on the site, first-time posters: please send a private message to admin to get your initial post approved.

IMPORTANT : A cause de nombreuses tentatives de spam, les nouveaux utilisateurs sont priés d'envoyer un message privé à admin pour voir leur premier message approuvé.
Pour l'interface du forum en français, enregistrez-vous sur le forum et sélectionnez le français comme votre langue de préférence.

Running out of ammo - why during Targeting?

Running out of ammo - why during Targeting?

Postby One-Armed Sorcerer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:19 am

I've got a question which bothers me, concerning the ammunition rules. It's not anything unclear within the rules, I just don't see the thought behind the concept.

Why does a weapon run out of ammo during the targeting step? My thinking is, that during targeting a character mainly concentrates on hitting the target by means of carefully aiming, not by spending lots of bullets. The more CP a character invests, the more time he takes to concentrate - for example a sniper who fires a single well-placed shot.
On the other hand "Pour it on!" means for me: Keep the trigger pulled and pump out as many bullets as possible. Therefore in my opinion the Roll for Damage should be the step, where you check whether you run out of ammo. The more dice you roll to increase the damage, the higher the risk that you'll have to reload.

I've though about houseruling this part of the rules, but I'd like to know if there is some special though behind the "out of ammo during targeting" concept.
One-Armed Sorcerer

Re: Running out of ammo - why during Targeting?

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:01 pm

It's a question of balancing the game. No simulation here. Sorry.
If you run out of ammo checking during the damage step, you would run out of ammo quite frequently, if not all the time.
Plus when you are targeting, you can decide to roll less dice than entitled.
That is also one good tactical rule to benefit from if you want to avoid running out of ammo.
Why would anyone want to roll less dice during damage ? Nobody. You wanna do full damage of course.
Ludicalement,
Chris
Chris
himself

Postby One-Armed Sorcerer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:18 am

Ahh... but that's the point. If I wanna do full damage by masses of bullets I have to deal with the risk of running out of ammo. :geek:

However, I see the balancing issue. I suppose "improved targeting" then means: Shoot more to increase the probability of hitting. And "pour it on" means... ehm... aim for the head to increase the damage. :shock:

I suppose I'll just cross-rename "Improve Targeting" and "Pour it on!" when playing, to keep it sorted in my head. :roll:

Thanks for the clarification. ;)
One-Armed Sorcerer

Postby Wakke » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:08 am

Hi,
I share the OP's feeling. How about:

You are out of ammo if the number of 'ammo-icons' in your damage throw
exceed the number of 'ammo-icons' on your target throw.

-> so the more careful you aim, the less likely you will be running out of ammo / jam your weapon

Thoughts?
Wakke

Return to Board index

Return to Game Rules