Skip to content

IMPORTANT: Due to large amounts of spam attempts on the site, first-time posters: please send a private message to admin to get your initial post approved.

IMPORTANT : A cause de nombreuses tentatives de spam, les nouveaux utilisateurs sont priés d'envoyer un message privé à admin pour voir leur premier message approuvé.
Pour l'interface du forum en français, enregistrez-vous sur le forum et sélectionnez le français comme votre langue de préférence.

A few questions from BGG

A few questions from BGG

Postby mavo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:18 am

Hi,

here are a few questions that were discussed on BGG, but the discussion did not come to a final conclusion, so I thought I’d asked them here.

1) Interruption:
Let's say character A enters character B's LOS, and is 5 spaces away. B successfully interrupts, plays an order tile, moves adjacent to A, and attacks with close combat. Now A continues his move (being adjacent to B) and moves aroud B, entering another space which is adjacent to A - may B interrupt again?

2) Options when activating a character:
Are the following statements correct?
a) If the character was not engaged before, I have to rotate the character. In addition, OPTIONALLY, I can assing an order tile and (again optionally) spend CPs on him.
b) If the character was engaged before, I MUST either assign a new command tile and/or play CPs on him.
Generally, all of a player's characters must have been activated once before a character may be reactivated.
This would mean that you EITHER have to do anything (engage, place order or assign CP) OR pass, but you cannot choose to activate a character and then do nothing (which would have the same result as passing). Is that correct?

3) LOS:
One fact I found confusing: the walls on diagonals go a little bit beyond their own floor space, i.e a wall covers one edge and a little bit of the next, adjacent edge. Now, the LOS rules say you draw a line from one center to the other. If I do that on a diagonal, LOS would ALWAYS be blocked. I guess this is just a graphical thing, or was that intended? The examples seem to imply that it was NOT intended.

4) Board mistake?
In scenario 1 (and 2), there is one 4x3 room tile which has a yellow border in the middle of the tile around a barrel and crates (?). Now, there is only one border, but 2 different defense values - shouldn't there be 2 distinct borders then on the tile? Because the rules say, after a succesful attack on the floor tile, all its squares are destroyed, what is probably not valid for this special tile

Thanks a lot in advance! I also tried to find the answers here in this forum, but did not succeedd...
mavo

Re: [Chris] A few questions from BGG

Postby vampb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:20 pm

1)
Good Question. Regarding to the rules I would say yes. But you have to duel again of course.
2)
As far as I understood you can activate a character without spending a place order. However, if you have already activated all characters than you have either to place an order tile and or assign a/some CP or you just pass (But if the other passes too, than you are in the Final Phase). But you cannot reactive an active character without placing any order tile.
3)
I think its a graphical thing, because it looks better, if you put two walls in 90 degrees to make a corner. If this "little extra Wall" would be missing and you try to make a corner, than it wouldn't look that good.
4)
You are correct.
So there would be 3 different solutions:
1. one line is missing
2. there should be only one value
3. anything is correct and it depends which square you are attacking. If one is destroyed, the other one is also destroyed. But to make it "more realistic", they used two values because barrels are easier to destroy than boxes.
vampb

Postby mavo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks for the input. I also have a few opinions regarding possible answers

But, of course, an official answer would really be appreciated - that's why I flagged the thread as proposed here in the forum. I will wait for an official statement - and thanks in advance! Great Game!
mavo

Postby Cormyr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

mavo wrote:1) Interruption:
Let's say character A enters character B's LOS, and is 5 spaces away. B successfully interrupts, plays an order tile, moves adjacent to A, and attacks with close combat. Now A continues his move (being adjacent to B) and moves aroud B, entering another space which is adjacent to A - may B interrupt again?

Very good question. I would say No but Yes :shock: . For me Interrupt is only possible when A want to continue his move. When he reenters another space adjacent, it's too late. According to the rules, interrupt while adjacent and in LoS has to be done the first time this condition is meet. So when A start to move.
Definitevely an official answer is needed

mavo wrote:2) Options when activating a character:
a) If the character was not engaged before, I have to rotate the character. In addition, OPTIONALLY, I can assing an order tile and (again optionally) spend CPs on him.
b) If the character was engaged before, I MUST either assign a new command tile and/or play CPs on him.
Generally, all of a player's characters must have been activated once before a character may be reactivated.
This would mean that you EITHER have to do anything (engage, place order or assign CP) OR pass, but you cannot choose to activate a character and then do nothing (which would have the same result as passing). Is that correct?

I would say Yes. And it is not generally, but it is mandatory. All characters must have been activated before activating again a character. So reactivating a character is for doing something. If you want to pass, you pass, and take the risk that other player passes and ends the turn. No fake pass by activating a character and doing nothing.

mavo wrote:3) LOS:
One fact I found confusing: the walls on diagonals go a little bit beyond their own floor space, i.e a wall covers one edge and a little bit of the next, adjacent edge. Now, the LOS rules say you draw a line from one center to the other. If I do that on a diagonal, LOS would ALWAYS be blocked. I guess this is just a graphical thing, or was that intended? The examples seem to imply that it was NOT intended.

Chris already answered that somewhere. It is a graphical artefact. For LOS you have to consider that wall ends on its square, so LOS can pass by the corner.
Cormyr

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm

1) Interruption:

Nope

2) Options when activating a character:

Correct

Correct

Yep

Perfect
Ludicalement,
Chris
Chris
himself

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:03 pm

3) LOS:

It's not intended. Forget about the small parts of wall that spread a little bit beyond the square.

4) Board mistake?
In scenario 1 (and 2), there is one 4x3 room tile which has a yellow border in the middle of the tile around a barrel and crates (?). Now, there is only one border, but 2 different defense values - shouldn't there be 2 distinct borders then on the tile? Because the rules say, after a succesful attack on the floor tile, all its squares are destroyed, what is probably not valid for this special tile

Yes consider it as a two separate pieces of decorum, independant.
Ludicalement,
Chris
Chris
himself

Postby Jaykay2010 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:08 am

Hi chris,

Your answer to Q1 (The interruption issue) you answer with just one word, ie: "No"

Could you expand your reasoning for me, as from the example originally given it appears as tho Character B WOULD be entitled to duel again, as the rules state he would be allowed because Character A has 'entered' an adjacent square for the first time?

A reminder of the situation, Character B, 5 squares away, successfully wins an interruption duel when Character A activates himself within B's LOS. Character B moves adjacent to character A, performs close combat. Character A, (who was on pause), then resumes his movement, but in moving, he 'enters' an adjacent square to character B.

Can you explain for me why you say Character B is not able to request a second duel?

My understanding of the rule is that B CAN request 2 duals in a single round, if the requirements for LOS and entering an adjacent square are satisfied, (even on the same round, and to the same character) ...

If, as you suggest, this is NOT permissable, could you explain why please,

thankyou

Cheers,

Jim
Jaykay2010

Postby Thupamart » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:57 pm

@Jaykay2010
because B moves, in his interrupt, adjacent to A. So this is the first time A is adjacent to B. Now B do the second order of his interrupt, a close combat. the interruption of B is now finish. A continues his move (it's right: adjacent to B, but not for the first time) and moves around B. if A is diagonal to B, A is no more adjacent to B. an other move around B, A is adjacent to B again, but once again not for the first time. A could do a close combat ore something else. B has no opportunity to interrupt.

cheers
Thupamart

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 pm

1) Interruption:

Nope
Because you can interrupt only when an opponent is in contact with you for the first time this same round.
In your description B came in contact of A, that's the first time of contact.
When A moves again, and comes in contact of B, even if i's a different square, it's not the first contact this round, so no chance of interrupting again.

I hope it makes it clearer for you
Ludicalement,
Chris
Chris
himself

Return to Board index

Return to Game Rules